Almost all businesses, big or small, would have a Private Branch Exchange system. This telephony system allows businesses to enjoy many phone lines to cater to the uncontrolled calls that could lead to sales and revenue, where traditional PBX system can cost substantially. Apart from the up-front cost of equipment and installation charges, the total cost of ownership would also entail regular maintenance. Besides, the traditional PBX will require a skilled employee to handle the entire telephone exchange.
Traditional PBX is based on an increasingly obsolete technology and its features are also therefore limited. There are many other advantages for an organization moving away from the traditional phone system and switching over to Internet based IP PBX system.
- Unified Communications: Unified Communications is developing field in IP Telephony that integrates multiple ways of communications like voice calls, video calls, voice mail, email, fax messaging, Instant Messaging, Cell Phones, etc. and permits the user to use one mode of communication to communicate with other modes, consistently. The Traditional PBX is difficult to manage. Some of them can only be managed using complex Command Line Interface (CLI) Commands that are proprietary to each vendor. But an IP PBX generally has a web based GUI (Graphical User Interface) console to manage/ configure/ make changes to many of its functions. This makes it easier for administrators to manage an IP PBX. Users may even be given custom a webpage which they could use to login and set their own preferences.
- Speech Recognition: Speech Recognition, is another emerging technology that has effectively been integrated with IP PBX which recognizes voice input (speech) directly from a caller to perform a desired action. For example, a caller could call the board number of a company and say the name of the person whom he wants to talk to, for the IP PBX to bring the extension number from a database and forward the call to that extension automatically.
- Fax to E-mail: IP PBX support IP Faxing that, in addition to other things, can be used to receive and send faxes directly from a computer.
- Conference Room: Only simple built-in conference facilities are available with Analog/ Digital EPABX. Even that is limited to 3-8 party conference calls at a given point of time. But IP PBX can enable a Conference Room which allows numerous clients to dial into a conference to enable multi-conference calls. There can be multiple such conference rooms and multiple callers in each conference room. The users could even be given a security pass code that authorizes them to enter the conference call.
- Long Distance Calls: Its possible to terminate SIP Trunks from ITSP’s (Internet Telephony Service Providers) directly to the IP PBX. So, international calls and long distance calls can be made through the Internet for lower cost. Concepts like DISA (Direct Inward Station Access) allow a user to dial to Corporate IP PBX (from anywhere using a PSTN Phone/ GSM Cell Phone) and access the IP Trunks connected to it, to make long distance calls at reduced rates.
An investment in a software based IP PBX makes a lot of sense, not only for new companies buying a phone system, but also for companies who already have a PBX. Nexbro IP PBX delivers such significant savings in management, maintenance, and on going call costs, that any company should be looking at upgrading to an IP PBX.